Can psoriasis be treated?
While psoriasis is a life-long condition with no cure, with treatment, symptoms can be minimised and, in some cases, disappear if they are well managed.3,24
A variety of treatments are available for different types of psoriasis. The best options for you will depend on several factors, including:
- The severity of your psoriasis.
- Where its located on your body.
- How it's affecting your quality of life.
- If you have other health concerns.
Setting a treatment goal that considers these factors is one of the most important steps towards taking control of your psoriasis.
Your GP or dermatologist will be able to help you to identify these factors, and any others, during your appointment to determine the best options for you.
What is a treatment goal?
Your treatment goal is personal to you. It could include:
- Being able to wear your favourite cloathing
- Reducing visible plaques and/ or scales
- Decreasing pain or discomfort you may experience with daily activities
- Taking an easy-to-use treatment
- Having a consistent result from treatment
- Minimising treatment side effects
- Becoming more confident to socialise
- Maintaining a regular exercise routine
- Becoming more comfortable in your own skin
It might help to take some time to think about your treatment goals before your next appointment with your healthcare professional.
Whatever your goals are, you can work towards these together with your healthcare professional.